Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dov Baer of Mezritch

Out of nothing came everything, so we are told. In fact, everything is nothing. But I find that idea weird because what I see and hear is reality to me. However, reality changes with perception, so mine might be quite different from somebody else's. So, I think that one could sum up Dov Baer's philosophy by saying to stop taking ourselves so seriously and turn our attention to God and to the nothingness from which we came.

2 comments:

Katy Cahill said...

Reading your response helped me understand the meaning of what the author was saying. I didn't write about this one because I didn't understand it but now that you seemed to almost break it down, it helps me. And i agree with you when you said that reality changes with perception. I didn't really think about that until I read it and the more I think about it the more I agree and find it odd I never thought about that before..

Hailey said...

Your response also made clearer to me the meaning of this passage. I was confused by it before, but I really enjoy your interpretation. Perceptions are so different, and because of that we have conflict. It is very insightful of you to state "stop taking ourselves so seriously and turn our attention to God and to the nothingness from which we came." I like that.