Until the last three lines of this essay, I find a glorious example of megalomania, and it is indeed fun to read. I can just hear him saying, "I shall command the clouds and they shall disperse." I wish that this type of mental disorder could be collected, diluted, and make into pills for the mass of humanity, instead of some of the dangerous and de-humanizing stuff that is floating around now.
With so much vivid description in his pathological state of mind, it is kind of sad to see that poor Thomas had to rejoin the world of reality.
Tuesday, October 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hi Virginia,
You wrote: "Until the last three lines of this essay, I find a glorious example of megalomania, and it is indeed fun to read. I can just hear him saying, "I shall command the clouds and they shall disperse." I wish that this type of mental disorder could be collected, diluted, and make into pills for the mass of humanity"
I have to say, Traherne has never struck that chord in me. Megalomania and mental disorder? I had a hard time trying to figure out what you were getting at.
When I read Traherne (and he is one of my favorites), I picture a simple, smiling man...I feel like he's almost living inside a good dream. I wanted to figure out how you thought of him, but I couldn't. Maybe you can tell me sometime in some more detail.
Jason
Post a Comment