For the umteenth time last night I re-read the words of Wu-Men, and this morning it finally occurred to me what he might have meant. Buddhism teaches us that everything is nothing; then why not accept the concept that the word "Mu" means "nothing" or "no?"
In answer to the monk's question of whether or not the dog has Buddha nature, the answer is "no" as the dog has no more reality than anything else.
I find this rather painful since recently putting down my beautiful, lovable, Black Labrador Retriever. Even the thought that the pain of this experience was unreal (in Buddhism teachings) is painful.
All of which reminds me of a Scottish myth in which a person, after death. crosses a bridge. Halfway across, waiting to meet him, is his favorite dog. Comforting by way of contrast with the Buddhist's concept. Detachment is the answer...
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hi Virginia,
Is the black lab you're referring to in this post the one in your profile picture? (being hugged by I'm guessing your lovely daughter?)
My family is a lab family too. My parents have "Buddy", who is the kindest, sweetest, most loveable and most incredibly stupid animal God ever made. He was afraid of the water when he was younger, so my dad and my brother tried throwing him into the pool, to help him get over his fear. He sank straight to the bottom and stood at the bottom of the pool on all four legs, until he ran out of breath and panicked towards the surface. He's now even *more* afraid of water.
I'll tell you another story (sorry, this comment is going to be longer than your original blog). When I was a kid, our dog Pasha died. I was crushed, and it was the first time I'd ever really experienced the reality of death. Confused and broken, I asked my mom, "Will Pasha be in heaven?" My mom, bless her heart, was for some reason too theological in her reply, "No, only people go to heaven." This crushed me totally. I never forgot it. I brought it up to her recently, and she was very apologetic...she made a simple mistake, on the spur of the moment. Of course there are dogs in heaven...and of course the first one to run to you when you get there is all your favorite dogs. How could it be otherwise?
Post a Comment